KORG volca drum
The volca series is joined by a new rhythm machine that brings yet another sonic character the volca drum digital percussion synthesizer.
Based on a simple trigger waveform, wave folder and overdrive are used to add overtones and distortion, and then a waveguide resonator effect brings the sound to life. The six-part DSP synth engine was designed with a completely different philosophy than conventional drum machines and generates a wide range of unexpectedly different sounds. And of course, you can play those sounds from the volca-style sequencer.
Distinctive sound from a newly developed DSP engine
Each part consists of two layers. For each layer, users choose one of five types of oscillator waveform including sine wave, sawtooth wave, and HPF noise, and also choose from three types of pitch modulator and amp EG, each optimized for drum sounds. Layer parameters can be edited either individually or simultaneously, and users can also use the two layers to produce the same sound for additional thickness.
Waveguide resonator adds rich resonances
The effect section features a waveguide resonator that's based on physical modeling, and which adds sympathetic resonances to the sound. You can choose from two types of waveguide: "tube" which adds the resonance of a cylindrical object such as a drum body or a long pipe, or "strings" which adds the metallic resonance of a string.
Novel design featuring a custom LCD
The aluminum panel is created using an etching process that emanates a sense of quality, using delicate relief to express the text and fine lines rather than using printing. In a first for the volca series, a custom LCD is used. The high-brightness display provides excellent visibility, portraying complex settings graphically for comprehension at a glance, and ensuring that the volca drum is easy to use with a quick learning curve.
- Keyboard Multi-touch trigger pads / Step keys
- Synthesizer Type Digital Synthesis
- Maximum Polyphony 6
- Structure 6 parts (For each part, 2 oscillators, pitch modulator, and amp EG), waveguide resonator effect.
- Kits 16 (Settings for 6 parts + Settings for waveguide resonator).
- Sequencer parts 6
- Number of steps 16 (pattern chain is available)
- Patterns 16
- Audio Output Headphones jack (3.5mm stereo mini jack)
- Sync In jack 3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum input level: 20V
- Sync Out jack 3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum Output level: 5V)
- MIDI 5-pin DIN MIDI IN
- Battery Life Approximately 10 hours
- Power Alkaline battery × 6, AA nickel-metal hydride
- DC adaptor KVgear Pa2Pro, KORG KA350 (optional)
- Dimensions (W x D x H)193 × 115 × 39 mm / 7.61 x 4.54 x 1.54 inches
- Weight 370 g / 0.75 lbs. (Excluding batteries)